How to use shelf1?

Scott Aubrey scottaubrey at capuk.org
Thu Dec 3 17:02:40 GMT 2009

On 3 Dec 2009, at 16:16, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> John Szakmeister <john at szakmeister.net> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 3:28 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
>>> After editing some files, I shelve the changes:
>>>
>>> bzr shelf --all
>>>
>>> oscar at qcore:~/dev/other/bzr-emacs/trunk$ bzr shelve --all
>>> Selected changes:
>>>  M  INSTALL
>>>  M  README
>>> Changes shelved with id "1".
>>>
>>> Now I try to see the contents of the shelve:
>>>
>>> oscar at qcore:~/dev/other/bzr-emacs/trunk$ bzr shelf1 list
>>> Patches on shelf '1': None
>>> oscar at qcore:~/dev/other/bzr-emacs/trunk$ bzr shelf1 switch 1
>>> Default shelf is now '1'
>>> oscar at qcore:~/dev/other/bzr-emacs/trunk$ bzr shelf1 list
>>> Patches on shelf '1': None
>>>
>>> What I'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Use "bzr shelve --list".
>
> That is for listing shelves, not for viewing the *contents* of a shelve.
>
>> "shelf1" is actually from bzrtools and a
>> modified version of that became "shelve" in the bzr core.
>
> Nope, the bzrtools implementation of `shelve' is `shelve1'. I'm talkng
> about `shelf1' here.
>
> [snip]
>
> --
> Óscar

actually shelf1 does belong to bzrtools ...
> bzr help commands | grep shel[fv]
shelf1                  Perform various operations on your shelved patches. See
                        also shelve1. [bzrtools]
shelve                  Temporarily set aside some changes from the current tree.
shelve1                 Temporarily set aside some changes from the current tree. [bzrtools]
unshelve                Restore shelved changes.
unshelve1               Restore shelved changes. [bzrtools]

AFAIK, shelve and unshelve1 don't work together, so my guess is that shelf1 doesn't work on shelve(without 1)