Reserved Edit Plugin

Adrian Wilkins adrian.wilkins at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 13:33:58 GMT 2009

On 03/12/09 11:34, bazaar-request at lists.canonical.com wrote:
> If I were to ship it would I need to sign the Canonical Contributor Agreement?
>
> I am developing it for my company, but they agree that it would be good to push
> it into the community.  My contract vests all the stuff I develop in company
> time with the company.

As a separate plugin, I don't think you need to sign the CCA ; you'd
need to do that for significant contributions to the Bazaar core or
other Canonical project. (Quite what counts as "significant", I don't
know, I've got a number of small patches in there but have never been
asked to sign a CCA).

You probably do need to release it under "GPL 2 or later" ; it's a
plugin but arguably useless without the Bazaar APIs so I would place it
in the set of "derivative work". As the copyright holder you could
redistribute and relicense chunks of it that are not derivative works as
you see fit, understanding that the original license on the GPLed work
can't be revoked by this.

Hosting it on Launchpad, listing it on the relevant wiki pages, and
mentioning it on the mailing list will net it all the attention it
deserves and I'm sure people will contribute if they find it useful.

I'm not a lawyer though, or an employee of Canonical.