.bzrignore -> .bzrmeta/ignore

Jason Earl jearl at notengoamigos.org
Thu Dec 3 00:36:50 GMT 2009

Gordon Tyler <gordon at doxxx.net> writes:

> lp:~doxxx/bzr/bzrmeta-ignore
>
> This is the first stage of my branch converting .bzrignore to
> .bzrmeta/ignore. It does not have any backwards-compatibility handling
> of .bzrignore which is the next stage I will be tackling. All tests
> pass and I've updated the docs except the non-English stuff.
>
> If .bzrignore exists and 'bzr ignore blah' is used to add an ignore
> pattern, should it add it to the existing .bzrignore or should it
> convert the .bzrignore to .bzrmeta/ignore and add the new pattern to
> that?

This seems like a pretty simple question to me.  If you use the existing
.bzrignore file, then old clients will continue to work.  If you convert
the existing .bzrignore file to .bzrmeta/ignore, then old clients will
stop working.

Using the .bzrignore file if it exists means that projects can migrate
to the new structure on their own terms.  New projects will end up with
the proper .bzrmeta file, and existing projects can migrate as the need
arises.  If a particular project wants to allow older clients then
someone simply has to create the proper .bzrignore file (once) and
everyone is happy.

Jason