Default performance of ‘lp:foo’ URLs

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Wed Dec 2 03:59:45 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 22:44 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 17:36 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > Robert Collins writes:
> >
> >  > Its not implausible that bzr+http would be faster than bzr+ssh.
> >
> > It doesn't seem likely that the difference would be enough that people
> > would really care, though.  Once you've got a smart server running,
> > the only time transport time should matter is on a clone, right?
>
> Setting up ssh from here is ~ as long as an incremental push :)

Isn't the real question here pull (ie, initial checkout, or large
catchup?) times ie trying to choose between recommending people use

        1a. $ bzr pull http://...
        1b. $ bzr pull bzr+http://...

        2   $ bzr pull bzr://...

        3   $ bzr pull bzr+ssh://...

to get or s/pull/branch/ your code?

[ie, aren't bzr+ssh:// and sftp:// the only ways to push remotely, so
for pushing bzr+ssh is a given in most cases?]

Is `missing` a good way to test these things? In my present experience,
bzr missing bzr:// is 2.3s whereas bzr missing http:// is 3.7s, from
which I infer that recommending people use the Bazaar smart server
protocol over 4331is a good idea (if it's technically and policy
feasible for them to deploy, of course).

AfC
Sydney