Unable to push via ftp

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Tue Dec 1 04:47:49 GMT 2009

2009/12/1 David Muir <davidkmuir at gmail.com>:
> I'm a little confused by terminology... and Python in general...
> IIUC, the transport assumes append based file streams (because of previous
> limitations?). So even though the method is called append_file, having it
> put the file instead is ok?

What's supposed to be happening here is that we are streaming out from
the groupcompress level, which is going to write one long file in a
series of chunks.  The base class implementation in transport.py and
AppendBasedFileStream changes them into a sequence of
transport.append_bytes calls.  However, since some servers don't
support append, we need to make sure that by the time it gets to the
ftp level we just open the file once and write one long stream.

By the way for openftpd I think there is a configuration option to
allow appending.  But patches to avoid needing to set it would still
be great.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>