Re: Default performance of ‘lp:foo’ URLs (was: Usage discussion from the GNU Emacs project.)

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Mon Nov 30 11:13:44 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Ben Finney <ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Surely now — with a horde of Emacs developers poised to plunge into
> nicely-written user guides, and who have varying degrees of infestation
> with the “Bazaar is complicated” and “Bazaar is slow” memes — now is the
> time to get Bazaar smart server set up for all Launchpad branches, and
> make read-only ‘lp:foo’ *default* to ‘bzr://’?

All the Launchpad developers who'd normally work on this are working
flat out on other things right now.

However, if anyone feels strongly enough about this to provide some
patches for this, I'd be happy to help them. There'll inevitably be
some stuff that can only be done by Canonical staff, but most of the
work could be done by anyone with drive & spare time.

FWIW, here's what I think one would need to do:

  * Add support for anonymous access to the lpserve plugin
    * This might also require changing our internal XML-RPC service a
little, but not very much
  * Come up with a working inetd configuration
    * Test it locally
    * Clear it with Launchpad's sysadmins
    * Get it on staging, production & edge codehosting (requires privs)
  * Open up the port to our staging, production and edge codehosting
servers (requires privs)
  * Change the public XML-RPC service to suggest 'bzr://' before 'http://'
  * Make sure the 'launchpad' plugin respects the 'bzr://' suggestion.
  * [OPTIONAL] Change the displayed branch URL on Launchpad to say
'bzr://...' rather than 'http://...'

Hope this helps,
jml