Patch Pilot report

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Nov 30 05:18:36 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 16:05 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:

> > I agree with Martin's concern that a pilot that tries to clear the backlog would
> > be overly burdened if they remained responsible for that backlog after their
> > week in the pilot's seat.  I also think Robert makes a good point that handoffs
> > are costly and should be minimised.
>
> Essentially the problem with having people retain pilot responsibility
> for some patches is that it complicates the queue state in a way that
> isn't modeled in the software.  The rule for the pp is no longer "try
> to get the queue emptied."

But that wasn't the rule we proposed in Brisbane. We proposed 'help new
contributions be acted on promptly.' I think having a project goal  of
having the queue empty is an interesting conversation, but it's focused
on the queue. I'm proposing that we focus on new contributors and what
will give them the simplest experience.

-Rob