Usage discussion from the GNU Emacs project.

Karl Fogel karl.fogel at canonical.com
Sun Nov 29 21:37:38 GMT 2009

Jason Earl <jearl at notengoamigos.org> writes:
> The FSF can be a really interesting organization sometimes.  Now that
> the launchpad code is free software I wonder if RMS could be talked into
> using launchpad.net to host Emacs development?

As the primary hosting site, probably not, for a reasons mentioned
elsewhere in this thread [1].

But I certainly plan to recommend using Launchpad as a place for people
(including core Emacs developers) to post their Emacs branches at
Launchpad for review.  For those who want a way to post their branch in
public quickly, Launchpad will be an excellent solution.

(Stephen, in [1] you seemed to imply that if developers posted branches
to Launchpad, that might not look good for Bazaar.  I don't see why; it
might not look good for Savannah, but it shouldn't matter for Bazaar.)

Note that the Launchpad import of Emacs [2] should be switched to pull
from the Bazaar master branch once Emacs switches over to Bazaar; thus
the histories of such developer branches will be linked correctly with
the histories over at Savannah.

-Karl

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2009q4/064732.html

[2] "lp:emacs", also known as