bzrhub ?

Xavier Maillard xma at gnu.org
Fri Nov 27 10:01:23 GMT 2009

Le 27/11/2009 10:26, Ben Finney a écrit :
> Xavier Maillard <xma at gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Le 27/11/2009 08:54, Ali Sabil a écrit :
>>> I think it would be really good if launchpad had another "ui" that
>>> is centered around people and that would resemble github and
>>> bitbucket, and that uses the same infrastructure.
>>
>> That's exactly what I had in mind.
>> I see the +junk branches as an effort to go this way but it's far from
>> being enough.
>
> Could you please enumerate the features you would expect such a service
> to provide? It really isn't enough to say “like that over there”. Please
> discuss concrete features that allow greater consensus on what it is
> we're talking about.

Okay, let's try:

Pros:

- simplicity and stays mostly out of the way. Managing something through
Launchpad is all but simple. You have to type a lot amount of
informations in order to have something "clean".
- following/followers/network graph/feeds. Github does all of this
pretty easily. Sounds like social networking oriented tool rather than
project/team.
- easy to branch on someone repository and play with the code.
- no need to setup a project to get started, just instruct your git
repositories to go onto github
- no distinction between "+junk" and "normal" project
- web hosting: the project webpage is in the repository
- "sexy" (your tastes may vary :D)

Cons:

- not free software
- ?

So, it sounds like social network for programmers. Another service I
like is repo.or.cz: really simple, no social network aspects, easy
branching.

I guess my ideal tool is rather closer to repo.or.cz than github and I
am pretty sure a tool like loggerhead could be transformed to something
like that (with some efforts).

I hope you see what I need ;)

Xavier