Usage discussion from the GNU Emacs project.

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Fri Nov 27 08:21:32 GMT 2009

Jason Earl wrote:

>> And people are recommending bound operation on the emacs-devel list!
>> How s-l-o-w can you go?
>
> I think that *I* am one of the people recommending a bound branch.  This
> might be a case where I am simply unaware of bzr's shortcoming.  I was
> under the impression that bound branches worked fairly well.

Bound branches work fine for me. I use them on every project I can, i.e.
every project where I have commit access to the trunk. They need to be
part of a solution though (submitting to trunk), not the only hammer in
your toolkit.

I read a bug report recently where Bazaar was bit too aggressive (IMO)
about checking the master branch tip when a branch is bound. So that
could be improved undoubtedly. I never notice the performance impact
though in any of the workflows I use (and Brisbane-London connectivity
isn't anything to rave about).

Ian C.