PPA update process (was Re: No bazaar 2.1.0b1 release in beta paa)

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Thu Nov 26 19:41:49 GMT 2009

Martin Pool wrote:
> 1- Building a bot that checks whether a set of updates will leave the
> archive self-consistent and installable is totally possible, but not
> trivial, for somewhat silly reasons.

Did you consider using edos-debcheck? I think that might make this doable.

> There is another option which is to have multiple archives, one per
> distroseries.  We could then have bzrtools-2.0.1~bazaar1 be copied as
> source into each of these, then rebuilt appropriately.

Really really don't do this.

You'll end up with differently built binary packages with the same names
and versions which will not only confuse humans, but also confuse APT
and dpkg - they won't know which version they have installed, they will
collide in the APT cache directory, and they won't be upgraded properly
when the user upgrades their distro.

Max.