Usage discussion from the GNU Emacs project.

Óscar Fuentes oscarfv at telefonica.net
Thu Nov 26 03:40:43 GMT 2009

Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at canonical.com> writes:

[snip]

> Returning to log speed, I use a handful of log aliases 100x more than
> log itself. My bazaar.conf file includes:
>
> [ALIASES]
> tip = log -r-1 -n1
> top = log -l10 --line

I've tried

bzr log -l10 --line ChangeLog

on the root of emacs trunk branch and it took 8.4 seconds the first time
and 6.2 the second time, on a fast machine (Quad Core 2.4 GHz, 8MB L3
cache, 8 GB RAM, Kubuntu 9.10, x86_64, ext3)

Without the file, the command is instantaneous.

> show = log -v -p -n1 --long
>
> In particular, I use 'top' heavily. All of these are fast operations,
> even on large repositories. Output should begin immediately as well.
>
> I also highly recommend using qlog instead of log. Fire it up once and
> refresh it as required. It's *so* much easier & faster exploring history
> using qlog than log.

Some observations here:

First: launched qlog and refreshed it twice: top says it used 1 minute and 346
MB of RES memory.

Second: having a window around all the time is something I'll like to
avoid.

Third, and most important: we are Emacs users. We always work from
Emacs, everything else is just auxiliary :-)

> Is it worth adding tips like above to the Emacs developer
> documentation?

Sure. Are you there, Stephen? :-)

This information is most useful for the developers of Emacs packages
that interfaces with bzr (and I guess that it applies to all bzr
interfaces). A few days ago there was a decission about limiting the
output of `log' on the Emacs generic VC interface (as you pointed above,
usually we are interested on the most recent history) so most probably
emacs is is already using -l, and having those log variations integrated
on the Emacs VC interface would be very nice.

Thanks for the tips.

--
Óscar