bzr on Emacs performance suggestions [was: Usage discussion ...]

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Thu Nov 26 03:03:38 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 11:51 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> sftp access, and for the version savannah-hackers clearly intends to
> use whatever is in Debian stable.  Currently that's Bzr 1.17, I think.
> This probably doesn't matter for dumb transports, but haven't
> improvements been made in the smart protocol on the server side, too?
> Ie, it's not clear that it will improve before the repo goes "live".

Its a really really really good idea to deploy 2.0[.whatever] rather
than 1.17. You're going with the 2a format, which is default in 2.0.
Before 2.0 there are bugs that will affect and annoy you - performance
related ones and more:
https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/1.18/1.18
https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/1.18/1.18rc1
https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+milestone/2.0rc1
https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+milestone/2.0.0
https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+milestone/2.0.1
https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+milestone/2.0.2

> In the bzr over http test, the download was clearly either stalling,
> or for long periods (in CPU cycles) in the background from the point
> of view of the rate measurement, because it would drop to near 0 about
> once a second, then bounce back up.  I can only speculate about cause
> if it was really stalling; maybe the httpd is heavily loaded compared
> to the git server?

AFAIK savannah is running vanilla HTTP at the moment, so bzr will be
making many range requests. These are synchronous, and there is a lot of
latency that can be incurred. Intercepting proxies can make this
massively worse.

-Rob