Some plans for scmproj

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Thu Nov 26 00:56:04 GMT 2009

Alexander Belchenko wrote:

> So, to unblock further development I decided to remove several features:
> alts (though they are very useful), subsets (never proved to be very
> useful) and move project.cfg from separate branch that lived in .scmproj
> directory to in-tree config, using the latest approved way with .bzrmeta
> (thanks, Ian).

> Removing alts is critical point, because right now it blocks snapshots
> implementation. Also it will simplify some other things. And also
> unblocks desire to have several project configs with different number of
> components (subsets does not help us here, unfortunately).

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the update. All up, we now have 3 plugins solving different
parts of the "metaproject" problem:

1. scmproj
2. externals
3. builder

The latter is getting a lot of attention from Canonical right now as
it's a key part of UDD. I wonder whether builder's recipes would be
helpful to you in replacing alts? IIRC, "alts" are alternative views so
QA can test certain combinations aren't they? See
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-distributed-devel/2009-November/000030.html
and https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-builder/+bug/488517.

> Also, I'm planning to release latest code from trunk as 0.4.6 and then
> in several steps going to new design as listed above. It will be major
> design, UI and API break, but I hope it will make scmproj much better.

Me too.

Ian C.