bzr rebase: Change behaviour to be as if --always-rebase-merges specified, remove outright the current default mode

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Tue Nov 24 12:27:23 GMT 2009

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 15:59 +0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> bzr rebase currently has two modes selected by presence or absence of
>> --always-rebase-merges.
>>
>> With --always-rebase-merges: Does a "normal" rebase, as a user of Git or
>> Mercurial rebase would expect.
>>
>> Without --always-rebase-merges: Totally throws away revisions with
>> multiple parents.
>
>> The second mode is, IMO, semantically incorrect in any circumstances. I
>> would like to remove it outright.
> -1
>
> The intention of rebasing without --always-rebase-merges is to skip
> rebases of merges for which the right hand side parent is already in the
> ancestry.
>
> If you have a history where you have merged from upstream and are later
> rebasing on mainline this allows you to automatically throw away the
> merges of mainline.

The problem I have with this is that textual changes you make as part of
conflict resolution may be valuable changes which should not be discarded.

I have an (very hacky) experimental branch which discards revisions if,
at the point of being about to commit them, they have no changes and
only a single parent. I think this is a safer and more sensible approach
to the problem.

Max.