rebase vs rewrite (and renaming plugins in general)

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Nov 24 11:06:48 GMT 2009

Hi Ian,

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 11:18 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> The rebase plugin now is called rewrite but the change looks like it's
> skin-deep, i.e. at the python package level, things still live under
> bzrlib.plugins.rebase. I don't think that's what we want as it will lead
> to confusion and break stuff (like documentation generation).
>
> I think we ought to put some policies in place wrt renaming plugins,
> e.g. leave the old plugin there, start a fresh project and point the old
> project to the new project. That seems the right balance to me between
> retaining backwards compatibility and forward internal consistency.
>
> What do you think?
The reason I did it this way was to avoid initial disruption for people
tracking trunk. The project on Launchpad was renamed rather than created
from scratch as otherwise we would have lost all of the existing
bug/release history.

I'm currently waiting for the Debian/Ubuntu package to be renamed. Once
that is happened, I'll prepare a new release with a renamed python
module. Unfortunately this will cause some disruption for people
following the branch, but I don't see an easy way around this. I'll make
sure to add a useful warning in __init__.py to remind them to manually
rename their link/branch in ~/.bazaar/plugins.

Cheers,

Jelmer