bzr-git, the git map, fetching revisions, and being very slow

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Sun Nov 22 17:18:35 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 10:57 -0600, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
[ . . . ]
> My point was that copying data from one repository in a particular
> format into another repository in the same format is *always* going to
> be faster than copying into a different format because there would be
> some sort of conversion involved in the second case. It is never going
> to be as fast.
>
> Perhaps we should be telling the user that an operation is expected to
> be slower when fetching between differing formats.

I think this is a crucially important point and one that definitely
needs raising with the user.

The fact that Bazaar is hiding Subversion, Git and Mercurial
repositories behind Bazaar branches and the Bazaar UI is great.  The
fact that Bazaar is hiding Subversion, Git and Mercurial repositories
behind Bazaar branches and the Bazaar UI is a real pain the @rse.

So being able to use Bazaar to manipulate Subversion, Git and Mercurial
repositories is seriously great, but it should always be clear and not
hidden when a non-Bazaar storage is being used.  Not only is this
managing user expectations, it is allowing the use transparency of
knowledge about the system under manipulation.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      Partner
                                            xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk
Concertant LLP        t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,   f: +44 8700 516 084   voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
London SW11 1EN, UK   m: +44 7770 465 077   skype: russel_winder