"Best" setup for local mirrors.

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Fri Nov 20 00:13:40 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 01:56:34 John Arbash Meinel wrote:
[..]
> > (lp:~algis.kabaila/easmy/fem),
> > another branch of programs that is converted to a Finite Element
> > Method
> > (lp:~algis.kabaila/easmy/fem2)
> > and a branch of LateX files (as well as a 'finished' pdf file that I
> > would like to host in a different location with a simple link to it).
>
> Generally Launchpad expects a "project" to have a single code base, and
> a "super-project" to aggregate those. Consider:
>
> http://launchpad.net/bzr
>   versus
> http://launchpad.net/bazaar
>
> The latter is aggregating all of the Bazaar eco-system.
>
> This isn't a strict requirement, but the system is tuned for that sort
> of operation. So if you have:
>
> ~algis.kabaila/easymy/fem
>
> then the expectation is that
> ~algis.kabaila/easymy/fem2
>
> would be something that you would want to merge into the first branch.
> (eventually, hypothetically, etc.)
>
> Versus:
>
> ~algis.kabaila/easymy-fem/trunk
>   and
> ~algis.kabaila/easymy-fem2/trunk

Thank you for a logical explanation.  AFAICS this would require to register
either two projects for the above (easmy-fem and easmy-fem2)
or a super-project.  Both seem to me to be rather ostentatious for my efforts,
hence the current arrangement.
> This generally seems reasonable. You 'work' in the working location, and
> sync via the 'mirror' location. As 'mirror' are bound branches, you can
> be sure that they will stay in sync.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> A 'repository' is a collection of branches. They don't have to be
> related. However, if you ask to view the history of all branches in a
> repository, then you are going to see what you saw. With the LaTeX
> branches shown next to the Python branches, and their histories not
> particularly related.
>
> I don't know if bzr-explorer makes it easy to carve out a subset to
> view, but the underlying commands support it. For example:
>
>  bzr qlog fem fem2
>
> rather than
>
>  bzr qlog .

That clarified things for me - I tried the command, which is clearly what the
bzr-explorer invokes.  A great teaching tool -- bzr-explorer!  Nice code
inside, makes me  wish I was a better reader.

One curious aspect of qlog - when the branches in "mirror" are bound
('binded'?) to launchpad branches, the command goes to launchpad to include
the revisions in the log.  That slows the qlog down.  This is not a criticism
of qlog - just an observation.

> On *my* laptop, I have a single repository for bzr + all plugins, etc.
> And then another one for Launchpad history, and another for Meliae, etc.
> So I guess I do a bit of both. The plugins don't share any ancestry with
> 'bzr', but it isn't really worth my time to manage 1 repo per plugin.
> Especially when 90% of them only have a single branch.
>
> John
> =:->
I appreciate your sharing some details of your setup.  Newbies (me!) can take
a leaf from the book of experience!

Thank you,

OldAl