Bazaar 2.1.0b3 gone-gold!

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Nov 16 20:24:15 GMT 2009

I just cut the 2.1.0b3 release, sorry it took me an extra week. My
internet access while sprinting was rather spotty. (Connecting to our
"conference" room wireless would cause my machine to crash.)

Anyway, thanks to all of those that helped get 2.1.0b3 polished up. Time
to start building those installers. I'm hoping to do the final
announcement of 2.0.2 and 2.1.0b3 simultaneously in the next day or two.

bzr 2.1.0b3
###########

:Codename: after sprint recovery
:2.1.0b3: 2009-11-16

This release was pushed up from its normal release cycle due to a
regression in python 2.4 compatibility in 2.1.0b2.  Since this
regression was caught before 2.1.0b2 was officially announced, the full
changelog includes both 2.1.0b3 and 2.1.0b2 changes.

Highlights of 2.1.0b3 are: new globbing code for all commands on
Windows, the test suite now conforms to python's trunk enhanced
semantics (skip, etc.), and ``bzr info -v`` will now report the correct
branch and repo formats for Remote objects.

bzr 2.1.0b3
###########

:Codename: after sprint recovery
:2.1.0b3: 2009-11-16

This release was pushed up from its normal release cycle due to a
regression in python 2.4 compatibility in 2.1.0b2.  Since this regression
was caught before 2.1.0b2 was officially announced, the full changelog
includes both 2.1.0b3 and 2.1.0b2 changes.

Highlights of 2.1.0b3 are: new globbing code for all commands on Windows,
the test suite now conforms to python's trunk enhanced semantics (skip,
etc.), and ``bzr info -v`` will now report the correct branch and repo
formats for Remote objects.

New Features
************

* Users can define a shelve editor to provide shelf functionality at a
  granularity finer than per-patch-hunk. (Aaron Bentley)

Bug Fixes
*********

* Fix for shell completion and short options.  (Benoît PIERRE)

* Hooks daughter classes should always call the base constructor.
  (Alexander Belchenko, Vincent Ladeuil, #389648)

* Improve "Binary files differ" hunk handling.  (Aaron Bentley, #436325)

* On Windows, do glob expansion at the command-line level (as is usually
  done in bash, etc.) This means that *all* commands get glob expansion
  (bzr status, bzr add, bzr mv, etc). It uses a custom command line
  parser, which allows us to know if a given section was quoted. It means
  you can now do ``bzr ignore "*.py"``.
  (John Arbash Meinel, #425510, #426410, #194450)

* Sanitize commit messages that come in from the '-m' flag. We translate
  '\r\n' => '\n' and a plain '\r' => '\n'. The storage layer doesn't
  allow those because XML store silently translate it anyway. (The parser
  auto-translates \r\n => \n in ways that are hard for us to catch.)

* Show correct branch and repository format descriptions in
  ``bzr info -v`` on a smart server location.  (Andrew Bennetts, #196080)

* The fix for bug #186920 accidentally broke compatibility with python
  2.4.  (Vincent Ladeuil, #475585)

Documentation
*************

* Include Japanese translations for documentation (Inada Naoki)

Testing
*******

* -Dhpssvfs will now trigger on ``RemoteBzrDir._ensure_real``, providing
  more debugging of VFS access triggers. (Robert Collins)

* KnownFailure is now signalled to ``ExtendedTestResult`` using the same
  method that Python 2.7 uses - ``addExpectedFailure``. (Robert Collins)

* ``--parallel=fork`` is now compatible with --subunit.
  (Robert Collins, Vincent Ladeuil, #419776)

* TestNotApplicable is now handled within the TestCase.run method rather
  than being looked for within ``ExtendedTestResult.addError``. This
  provides better handling with other ``TestResult`` objects, degrading to
  sucess rather than error. (Robert Collins)

* The private method ``_testConcluded`` on ``ExtendedTestResult`` has been
  removed - it was empty and unused. (Robert Collins)

* UnavailableFeature is now handled within the TestCase.run method rather
  than being looked for within addError. If the Result object does not
  have an addNotSupported method, addSkip is attempted instead, and
  failing that addSuccess. (Robert Collins)

* When a TestResult does not have an addSkip method, skipped tests are now
  reported as successful tests, rather than as errors. This change is
  to make it possible to get a clean test run with a less capable
  TestResult. (Robert Collins)