[RFC] Community driven branch extensions

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Thu Nov 12 19:32:29 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:50:28PM +1000 I heard the voice of
Ian Clatworthy, and lo! it spake thus:

> A. Branches can say "I need capability X in order to use me".
>     Users can register these via a simple UI ala bzr (q)tag.
>
> B. Plugins can say "I deliver capability X".

These pair definitely add capabilities that (in the abstract at least)
I want.  It's fundamental that a DVCS has a lot less ability to force
things than a CVCS, but that doesn't mean we need to lack mechanisms
to suggest them.  It wouldn't be of use to prevent malice (and I'd be
against extreme efforts to try and tighten it to do so; it should be
defeatable as necessary), but would be a great double check on
stupidity.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net