What's Canonical thinking about Bazaar?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Thu Nov 12 04:29:13 GMT 2009

On Wednesday, 2009-11-11, at 18:04 , Martin Pool wrote:

> I think this is true that many people feel this way, and it's
> factually true that Launchpad existed for years before the main
> source release.  But personally I find it a bit depressing:
> companies that release a lot of free software are judged harshly
> for not releasing everything immediately, while most of the people
> making the criticisms have not themselves freely released
> everything they ever wrote.  It seems like a double standard.

Speaking for myself, when I said this was indicative of "bad faith",
I didn't mean that Canonical was being immoral or anything like
that.  I think it is perfectly moral for companies to provide web
services based on closed-source software, and if they subsequently
open-source that software then all the better.  What I meant was only
that the example of launchpad that you brought up, far from making me
feel more confident that Canonical would effectively promote the open-
source project bzr, made me feel less confident.

> I think some of the specific actions identified in this thread,
> from the patch pilot to improving the contribution agreement, will
> help with that.

I look forward to seeing the changes to the contribution agreement.
By the way, I assume you followed this story on LWN?  http://lwn.net/
Articles/358218/

Regards,

Zooko