Defining specific problems and handwaving at solutions

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Wed Nov 11 11:53:59 GMT 2009

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> Something that just occurred to me is that non-committers and non-core
> people probably are not at all aware of how long some projects that
> committers propose languish in the queue, too. I don't think it's good
> PR to belabor that in public, but one thing a good mentoring process
> would do is give senior contributors an appropriate place to tell
> their war stories of The Patch That Took A Decade To Land. :-)

Even better IMO would be to have automatically-collected statistics on
patch lifetimes, with automatically-generated reports published. That
way anyone could point to objective data to get an idea of the track
record of patches, and on that basis “casual” patch creators could make
a judgement on whether they have the patience.

Actually getting such stats and reports is A Small Matter Of Programming
of course.

--
 \        “The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the |
  `\       hijacking of morality by religion.” —Arthur C. Clarke, 1991 |