Any ex ClearCase or VSS users out there?

David Timothy Strauss david at fourkitchens.com
Mon Nov 9 07:43:29 GMT 2009

----- "Krzysztof Nowicki" <krissn at op.pl> wrote:

> ClearCase handles multisite repositories by having every branch owned
> by only one site (it's read-only for all other ones). Synchronization between
> the branches is performed via automatic merges between two main
> development branches on both sites. Initially I wanted to replicate that behaviour in
> Bazaar, but I've hit bug 69489.

Automatic merges between your replicas is the wrong approach, at least for Bazaar.

Use push/pull, which:
(1) Are no-ops if there aren't changes to synchronize.
(2) Produce identical history across synchronized branches instead of a mess of pseudo-merges.
(3) Fail if branches have diverged. They shouldn't diverge if there's only one write master.

--
David Strauss
   | david at fourkitchens.com
   | +1 512 577 5827 [mobile]