Don't use single quotes as quotes in command-line parsing on windows?

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 18:35:30 GMT 2009

As I noted back in September shortly after I opened Bugs 425510 and 426410,
I was amazed at how much discussion grew up over the "simple" business of
expanding globs on the windows shell.  One of the great strengths of the bzr
project is that this kind of discussion can take place.   Kudos to the bzr
core devs and kudos to Canonical for implicitly supporting (with employee
time) a free exchange of ideas in a project which might not exist without
their corporate sponsorship.

This discussion of how the cross-platform bzr tool should behave on
different platforms is important and must run its course.

Meanwhile, if anyone just wants to get on with a fix for the original bugs
as reported, I have just pushed the code (with tests) to
lp:~martitzam/bzr/win32-wildcards for anyone who wants to have a look.  Yes,
this is an ad hoc fix.  It is not meant to be an elegant, forward-looking
solution.  But it fixes these two bugs (and only these two bugs) for Windows
users and it seems to me to be consistent with how file-globbing has been
implemented for other bzr commands, such as 'bzr add', for a very long time.

I do not plan to make a merge proposal, because that would only get in the
way of the larger discussion of long-term shell behavior.   I simply share
this branch for anyone who might find it helpful in their own work.

Always, feedback on content and style are invited and welcomed.

~M