No subject

Tue Nov 3 10:50:01 GMT 2009

On 08/11/2009, John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> It *has* been a source of difficulty for users that the command line
> does not behave the same across different platforms. Even if we fix up
> the bzr docs, people may read recipes in blog posts, etc. And then not
> have them work.

This is the tradeoff: consistency between platforms or consistency
with the platform. Those examples are good for showing that the former
is valuable. However so is the latter - one of the advantages of
Bazaar is you're not forced to install half a unix system and learn a
bunch of alien new rules. There is also harm in teaching people a
trick that won't work for anywhere else on their platform.

On 07/11/2009, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> I honestly feel that the number of files that will be versioned which
> have an ' in them is very low. Mabye I'm wrong, but I'd like actual
> evidence for that fact.

No, this is correct. As we're talking about corner cases not general
bazaar usage, I think that bazaar should defer to the platform it is
running on.

Martin