Defining specific problems and handwaving at solutions

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Sun Nov 8 00:01:36 GMT 2009

John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

> > The effect is predictable: only really simple patches, or those with
> > a champion, get through in a timely manner. The base still evolves
> > but not necessarily as rapidly as it could. The majority of
> > innovation moves to the plugin layer.

I don't think “rapid evolution of the base” is a good thing in general.
That the current practice limits that is an overall positive, in my
book.

> Patches need a champion, either the person doing the initial patch
> sees it through to the end, or it transitions to someone else to do
> so. That IMO is a fundamental part of software. *Somebody* needs to
> finish it.

Right, changes to the core should be subject to a high degree of peer
review and critical scrutiny. This necessarily involves more effort and
focus over time, and thus a barrier to casual entry.

> Having a Process that requires code-review and tests is a barrier to
> entry. However, aside from some spectacular failures like stacked
> branches, we've been almost regression free. We have a trunk that
> everyone can be comfortable running day-to-day without worrying that
> things will start breaking unintentionally.

Exactly. That Bazaar's core has always had a very comprehensive test
suite, and that changes don't make it into the core unless they meet the
same level of assurance, is an end-user benefit that I've touted to
prospective users. The reception to this point is positive, and it does
a lot of the work of reassurance that Bazaar will continue to be
reliable.

--
 \      “Software patents provide one more means of controlling access |
  `\      to information. They are the tool of choice for the internet |