Don't use single quotes as quotes in command-line parsing on windows?

Benoît PIERRE benoit.pierre at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 18:51:23 GMT 2009

Excerpts from John Arbash Meinel's message of Sat Nov 07 17:45:21 +0100 2009:

> Gordon Tyler wrote:
> > On 11/7/2009 11:19 AM, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> >> So the point is that it doesn't have to be interpreted that way. I've
> >> stayed out of the debate for a bit to see what responses we would get.
> >>
> >> Obviously I feel that "bzr foo 'ab cd'" should be treated as a single
> >> string as it does elsewhere (otherwise I wouldn't have implemented it
> >> that way.)
> >
> > As I said on the merge proposal, the shell is responsible for quoting.
> > The tool shouldn't be implementing it.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Gordon
> >

> The shell is also responsible for globbing on most systems, and Windows
> does not implement it at all.

I agree with Gordon. Yes the shell is responsible for globbing, and no
the sorry excuse for one provide by Windows does not do it. In that case
the fix is simple: just install a real shell.

> As such, we work around limitations in the system, and do it ourselves.
> To what degree should we do that?
>
> To date, we *didn't* and let the shell take care of most of it, except
> for 'bzr add'. People where unhappy with that situation.
>
> So what is a better all-around situation? I felt that implementing a
> POSIX style interface would be more comfortable for just about anyone
> who was comfortable using a command line.

Instead of doing it Bazaar, how about doing it in Bzrtools shell? I
believe it's now working again on the stock Windows install (thanks to
the addition of pyreadline). It's also way more convenient to use thanks
to completion.