bzr+ssh with BZR_REMOTE_PATH under Vista

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Nov 7 16:30:20 GMT 2009

}--o wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have bzr 2.1.0b installed under Vista, and would like to run the Vista
> equivalent of
>
> $ BZR_REMOTE_PATH=/home/user/bin/bzr bzr branch
> bzr+ssh://user@example.com/home/user/bzr/repo
> <http://user@example.com/home/user/bzr/repo>
>
> I've tried 2 ways
>
> first to add to locations.conf this:
>
> [bzr+ssh://user@example.com/home/user/bzr/repo]
> BZR_REMOTE_PATH=/home/user/bin/bzr

^- I believe it is just 'bzr_remote_path' in the config settings.
Specifically:

def get_bzr_remote_path(self):
    try:
        return os.environ['BZR_REMOTE_PATH']
    except KeyError:
        path = self.get_user_option("bzr_remote_path")
        if path is None:
            path = 'bzr'
        return path

> then to run from the bzr command line
>> set BZR_REMOTE_PATH=/home/user/bin/bzr
>> bzr branch bzr+ssh://user@example.com/home/user/bzr/repo
> <http://user@example.com/home/user/bzr/repo>
>
> in either case I got the following error
>
> Authentication (password) successful!
> Secsh channel 1 opened.
> bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check
> connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist.
>
> I've tried to run the original command under Linux with bzr 2.0.2, and
> it worked flawlessly.

'set' should certainly be the command used to set the environment
variable. When *I* try that, it seems to work fine, though I'll admit
that the remote machine I'm testing on also has a 'bzr' in its path.

Adding debugging seems to show it picking up "BZR_REMOTE_PATH" just fine.

Are you sure you didn't have a typo?

> Can this be a version problem? Windows has 2.1.0b, while Linux has bzr
> 2.0.2.
> I've downloaded the windows installers at the beginning of the week, and
> the stable version's links didn't work. This is how I ended up with the
> testing version. Was this fixed in the meantime?
>
> thanks for your answers
> Viktor

Version differences shouldn't matter. Which links did you try to follow?
Both are certainly available from:
  https://launchpad.net/bzr/+download

Note that that page can be a bit finicky because we have lots of
download links, and it seems the DB queries are enough to cause timeouts
sometimes. You should also be able to find specific ones
  https://launchpad.net/bzr/2.0/2.0.2/
or
  https://launchpad.net/bzr/2.1/2.1.0b2/