Defining specific problems and handwaving at solutions (was Re: What's Canonical thinking about Bazaar?)

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Nov 7 13:35:34 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 11:09:36PM +1000 I heard the voice of
Ian Clatworthy, and lo! it spake thus:

> Anything remotely complex (like content filtering) is a nightmare to
> get landed if no-one else is *passionate* about improving that area.

So here's another idea.  Use an ADVANTAGE of that "everybody's
Canonical" status, so it can be declared by fiat "OK, look, this week
EVERYBODY is thinking about and working on X".  Content filtering and
its dependancies like per-branch/tree config could desperately benefit
from this.  So could nested trees.

It may be that the biggest problem with these complex things is that
everybody's pretty much working on different things, so anything
that's going to require broad buy-in is toast.  Everybody cares about
it, everybody has good and important input, and everybody puts in half
a day on it, but they're all scattered a month apart.  Batch
processing FTW!

Yep, I know that won't work either, because all the different things
everybody's working on are desperately important too.  Sigh.
Manpower.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net