Comparison with Git, Mercurial or Darcs?

Brian de Alwis bsd at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 5 15:33:02 GMT 2009

On 5-Nov-2009, at 6:18 AM, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Anyways, I don't think I'm using Darcs as an SCM, or that an SCM
> ("scm install <revid>") would do what I want. Rsync is probably
> closer to what I need.

If you're concerned with possibly losing edits made on the server, you
may want to check out Unison [*].  Unison is a file synchronizer
(changes are propagated both ways between local and remote), as
compared to a mirroring tool (the destination is brought to the same
state as the source), like rsync.  It uses the rsync delta
differencing under the hood, so is as efficient as rsync.  You can
also have it save a number of backups of files, Just In Case.

[*] http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

Brian.

--
"Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli