bzr-Explorer could be a better learning tool.

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Thu Nov 5 09:33:50 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 November 2009 19:24:34 DeeJay wrote:
> "I would think that it would not be too difficult to add one icon on the
> tool bar, called perhaps "debug" that would toggle a small panel/window
> that would show the bzr command being executed (including the switches). It
> would not stand in the way of normal operation and give an option to use
> the bzr- Explorer as a learning tool."
>
> Perhaps much of what you seek is present already, under View => Diagnostic
> Mode?

Not really. I think it would be beneficial if the actual commands were shown.
OTH, the facility of seeing the commands could well be a part of the
diagnostic mode, though this would somewhat clash with the idea of avoiding
"big words", like says "checkout" instead of "lightweight "checkout", as the
author  of bzr-Explorer has indicated already.

> That fails to do what you hope for in that most of the operations invoked
> within bzr-explorer are q-commands from the qbzr package, not direct calls
> of bzr cli commands.
Very valuable point that escaped my attention.
It is quite true that there are many plugins from qbzr package involved.  But
even if that involves some more investigation into what CLI commands the
plugins issue, it is not an insurmaountable difficulty,

> So the teaching value may not be as great.
I beg to disagree and, for a change, when it comes to learning/teaching I can
claim some expertise.  I could quote some people that succeeded in spite of my
inept teaching :)

> But I hope you will continue to investigate what you can accomplish.
>
> DJ

Thank you, Dj.

OldAl.
--