pylint

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Thu Nov 5 07:52:23 GMT 2009

On Thursday 05 November 2009 18:05:53 Ben Finney wrote:
> Algis Kabaila <akabaila at pcug.org.au> writes:
> > I would like to make my Python programs to be syntactically of the
> > standard expected in bzr-Explorer. Pylint shows the lack of compliance
> > of my scripts with PEP 08 (?).
>
> […]
>
> That seems to be the first goal to achieve, not least because it's
> well-described and achievable and a good prelude to adding other more
> specific guidelines.
>
> Nothing specific to Bazaar, but simply bringing your code into
> compliance with PEP 8 <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/> and
> *keeping* it there as the code base continues to develop, by making a
> PEP 8 style check part of your automated test suite.
>
> You might bring up this topic, of achieving PEP 8 conformance, on the
> general Python discussion forum, which is at <URL:news:comp.lang.python>
> or other locations as documented on the Python website
> <URL:http://www.python.org/community/lists/#comp-lang-python>.

Thank you for the suggestions and the links! My question was motivated in part
by the introductory paragraphs of PEP 8, particularly:

[quote]
But most importantly: know when to be inconsistent -- sometimes the style
guide just doesn't apply.  When in doubt, use your best judgment.  Look
at other examples and decide what looks best.  And don't hesitate to ask!
[/quote]

So I thought I would follow the suggestion and ask  :)

Thank you for answering it, particularly for the hyperlinks!

OldAl.
--
Algis Kabaila, MEngSc, PhD(Eng)
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis.pdf