bzr-Explorer could be a better learning tool.

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Thu Nov 5 07:16:59 GMT 2009

Ian et al,

bzr-Explorer is the *kill-application* for Bazaar.  Whilst I consider that GUI
has disadvantages, mainly in difficulty to document it, it is used much more
widely than CLI.

OTH, there will invariably be occasions when CLI will be required.  This is
the case with most programs, but particularly with versioning tools.

Initially, vast majority of users would prefer to work exclusively with GUI,
but over a time period most will want to use CLI as well.  So bzr-Explorer is
both a versioning tool and a learning/teaching tool for CLI of  Bazaar text
UI.

I would think that it would not be too difficult to add one icon on the tool
bar, called perhaps "debug" that would toggle a small panel/window that would
show the bzr command being executed (including the switches). It would not
stand in the way of normal operation and give an option to use the bzr-
Explorer as a learning tool.

I looked at the first (!) commit of the bzr-Explorer.  The signals are so
nicely connected to the slots.  A lot of skillful work and thought had gone
into the project before the proverbial "putting the pen on paper"!

If the suggested feature is not acceptable and is rejected, I would consider
an attempt to implement it on my own "feature branch", but I would need to
learn so much...  I have programmed with Delphi, but only read about Qt and Qt
Designer.  Whilst GUI design with Delphi was attractive, as soon as one moved
outside the "standard examples", it could be quite demanding.  AFAICS, Qt
Designer has a very similar nature.

So I would very much like to see the feature be implemented by the people who
know what they are doing.

OldAl.

--
Algis Kabaila, MEngSc, PhD(Eng)