Question about features

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Nov 5 05:41:00 GMT 2009

Daniel Carrera writes:

 > A problem I'm having is that Bazaar distinguishes between a branch, a
 > tree, a checkout, and a repository. That's four different terms. I come
 > from the simpler world of darcs where "branch = working directory" and
 > that's it.

You can work that way in Bazaar, but your particular workflow
(frequently using obliterate) is poorly supported (basically for the
reasons Ben Finney presents; the Bazaar developers mostly agree with
him, although there are a variety of rationales among them).

 > All in all, this seems like a lot of complication when all i want is to
 > uncommit feature A.

Yes.  You really want pipelines (maybe looms), not branches.

In git your workflow would be implemented via branches, but it might
be somewhat complicated (you need to use rebase starting from the
*child* of the commit you want to eliminate, which is nontrivial to
determine in git).