Security

Joke de Buhr joke.de.buhr at seiken.de
Wed Nov 4 11:16:43 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 04 November 2009 11:25:07 Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 10:34 +0100, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> > ons 2009-11-04 klockan 09:35 +0100 skrev Joke de Buhr:

> > > Git cryptographic protection is based an sha1 hashes. Each commit
> > > is hashed much like you can hash files from command-line using
> > > sha1sum. The hash is used as a revion id in git.
> >
> > The beauty of this hash in git is that the hash of the latest
> > revistion is based on previous revisions, meaning that if you know
> > that hash you can verify the integrity of the whole history not just
> > that revision. I do not know if bazaar has this kind of mechanism
> > built in to the revision hash.
>
> yes, this is part of the testament sha1.

You can check it if you want to:

  bzr testament --long
displays detailed information about each active element of the current
revision. The format is:
  {filename} {unique identifier} {sha1 of file}

The complete long testament is sha1 hashed again:
  bzr testament --long | sha1sum
The output is the same hash displayed using
  bzr testament

So manipulating one file would result in a different hash listed in the
long testament and as a result the final hash would be a different one as
well.