bzr svn-import with a deep branch layout

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Oct 31 13:42:51 GMT 2009

Hi Russ,

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 07:19 -0500, Russ Brown wrote:
> On Thursday 29 October 2009 02:45:48 am you wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, see my other mail on this thread about how I'm making use of this
> > > feature to solve the problem using something of a brute-force method.
> >
> > IIUC you're not using wildcards though - are the branch paths that
> > strange?
> >

> Unfortunately there has been some, erm, indiscipline over the course of this
> repository when it comes to branch creation. Some branches were created as
> direct children of branches/, others in subdirectories.
Ah, thanks - I think I understand the issue now.

>  Some branches were
> actually created from subdirectories of trunk/, so I'd rather not consider
> those as branches at all as I'd imagine that it could confuse svn-import a
> bit. It seemed best to just explicitly list those that I want considered as
> branches, in an attempt to guarantee the highest-quality import possible.
bzr-svn shouldn't be confused by branches that were created from
directories inside of trunk, but it won't store them in any optimized
form.

I think what you're asking for is possible and might be a neat thing to
support in svn-import, but not useful as standard approach to find
branches in Subversion and a non-trivial amount of work to implement.
Could you perhaps file a wishlist bug about it?

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org