2.0 migration confusion

Brad Schick schickb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 01:30:46 GMT 2009

I am following the step here
http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/upgrade-guide/index.html to migrate
to the 2a format, but finding the steps unclear.

On my server I have a shared repo with several branches and no working
trees. So as the docs say, I am trying

1. Upgrade the shared repository.
2. Upgrade the branches.
3. Upgrade any lightweight checkouts.

In the top directory of the shared repo I ran

>bzr check
>bzr upgrade --2a
>bzr check

And it seems to be happy. Then moving to step #2 I change into one of
the branches in to repo and do

>bzr check .
>bzr upgrade --2a .
bzr: ERROR: The branch format Meta directory format 1 is already at the
most recent format.

And get the error above. So what does setup #2 mean?

Further down in the upgrade guide, there is a section titled "Migrating
local branches after a central trunk has migrated". Does that mean that
people can't upgrade the local branches and keep working as usual?
Everyone really needs to re-branch from the upgraded server and then
copy over all their changes and ignored junk?

-Brad