Doc website branches

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Fri Oct 30 21:07:32 GMT 2009

Russel Winder wrote:

> As far as I am aware, plugins are the only way of "adding on" to Bazaar,

It depends on how strict you treat the term "add-on". I take a pretty
broad view w.r.t. add-on and interpret it to mean products that enhance
the broader Bazaar experience/ecosystem. That includes stuff like CGI
scripts and TortoiseBzr which aren't strictly bzr plugins. Things like
https://launchpad.net/publish-bot are more than "just a plugin" too.

> The problem for me is that the Bazaar Eclipse plugins (!) and the Bazaar
> IntelliJ IDEA plugins (!) -- note the plural in both cases :-( -- are
> Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA "add ons" they are not Bazaar "add ons".

Technically, that's true. From a user perspective, I suggesting that
products integrating X with Y are "add ons" to both X and Y while
typically being a plugin to either X or Y.

I'm suggesting we should use the terms like this:

  extras = plugins + add-ons

"plugins" and displayed (and ultimately managed) using "bzr qplugins" or
"bzr plugins". "add-ons" aren't.

> I assume you mean Bazaar Explorer and not Windows Explorer here ;-)

Yes, the cross-platform one. :-) :-)

Ian C.