Doc website branches

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Fri Oct 30 07:45:17 GMT 2009

Ian,

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 16:51 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Beyond the core docs, here are the projects making up our documentation:
>
> doc.b.o/{en|fr|ja|ru} => lp:bzr-alldocs
> doc.b.o/migration => lp:bzr-migration-docs
> doc.b.o/explorer => lp:bzr-explorer-website
> doc.b.o/plugins => lp:~ian-clatworthy/+junk/bzr-plugins-guide/
>
> The last one needs to become a project soon. I've been holding back
> until I'm more sure about whether to make it bzr-plugins or bzr-extras.
> If it's the latter, the goal would be to have registries of both plugins
> and other add-ons maintained there (instead of the Wiki), together with
> the docs generated from those registries. Sometimes the line between
> "add-on" and "plugin" changes, e.g. Loggerhead, so one project for both
> has appeal for that reason.

As far as I am aware, plugins are the only way of "adding on" to Bazaar,
so unless extras means something other than plugins, it is probably safe
to go with plugins.  Doing this has the advantage of allowing extras to
be used for something other than plugins should that be needed.

> OTOH, I'm not 100% sure about how sensible a "Bazaar Add-ons Guide" is.
> Would it be valuable to have one manual like that documenting each
> integration with an Editor, IDE, Bug Tracker, CI tool, etc? Or should
> each of these provide their own doc (not necessarily in ReST) and we
> make no effort to aggregate them?
>
> My other concern is just how large an "Add-ons Guide" could become. Done
> properly, you'd think that "Bazaar Eclipse Add-on", "Bazaar IntelliJ
> Add-on", etc. ought to be manuals in their own right. Being honest with
> ourselves though, it's more likely the doc for each add-on will be
> "light" given 99% of developers prefer coding to writing manuals. :-)
> Having an umbrella "Add-ons Guide" might at least encourage *some* docs
> via copy-and-paste from other add-ons. Not sure.
>
> Any opinions?

The problem for me is that the Bazaar Eclipse plugins (!) and the Bazaar
IntelliJ IDEA plugins (!) -- note the plural in both cases :-( -- are
Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA "add ons" they are not Bazaar "add ons".

I think treating the editor and IDE world as a separate category is
probably a good move.

> FWIW, if we decide it's useful, an "Add-ons Guide" is low priority for
> me. I'm far more motivated to get:
>
> 1. better admin documentation (recent list threads have highlighted
>    our deficiency there)
>
> 2. an Explorer User Guide.
>
> (And I want a few more things streamlined in Explorer before I start on
> the latter.)

I assume you mean Bazaar Explorer and not Windows Explorer here ;-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      Partner
                                            xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk
Concertant LLP        t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,   f: +44 8700 516 084   voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
London SW11 1EN, UK   m: +44 7770 465 077   skype: russel_winder