bzr svn-import with a deep branch layout

Russ Brown pickscrape at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 12:19:48 GMT 2009

On Thursday 29 October 2009 02:45:48 am you wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 16:05 -0500, Russ Brown wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 October 2009 12:57:41 pm Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > > See "bzr help svn-layout" for more information on manually setting the
> > > repository layout that should be used. You can use wildcards.
> >
> > Yes, see my other mail on this thread about how I'm making use of this
> > feature to solve the problem using something of a brute-force method.
>
> IIUC you're not using wildcards though - are the branch paths that
> strange?

Unfortunately there has been some, erm, indiscipline over the course of this
repository when it comes to branch creation. Some branches were created as
direct children of branches/, others in subdirectories. Some branches were
actually created from subdirectories of trunk/, so I'd rather not consider
those as branches at all as I'd imagine that it could confuse svn-import a
bit. It seemed best to just explicitly list those that I want considered as
branches, in an attempt to guarantee the highest-quality import possible.

> > There are obviously things I don't know about this problem domain as I've
> > not spent years working on a tool such as bzr-svn, but it seems to me
> > that the detection would only need to happen at the point of revision
> > import, would only need to look at added directories, and would only need
> > to look for those copied from the defined "trunk" directory. In other
> > words, automating what my brute force method does, and do it on the fly,
> > incrementally.
>
> In theory it would be possible to do something like that, however it is
> far from trivial to do so, as we would need a cache for the results or
> every operation includes a full analysis of the repository history. The
> user would also need to specify in which revision the trunk should be
> considered, as it for example doesn't exist yet in rev 0.

Yes, I see that it could get complicated.

--

Russ