bzr svn-import with a deep branch layout

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Tue Oct 27 21:51:53 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 02:28:05 Russ Brown wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 October 2009 10:05:21 am John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> > Russ Brown wrote:
> > > Are my suspicions correct, and if so is there any way to get svn-import
> > > to detect branches by noticing copies of trunk, rather than simply
> > > looking for subdirectories of branches?

My personal "work around" solution is quite simple (and I love things that are
simple!).  Since I moved from my "private repository" (*) method to svn, I
noticed that I very seldom if ever went back to an earlier committed version.
Sure, the history was important, but as soon as the project reached a stage
where I could say "ready for use", I moved a copy of the trunk to either
branches or even tags subdirectory (as recommended by svn masters).

So that in branches history was important, but not the capability of reverting
back to an earlier version.  So I moved a *snapshot* of my "svn branches" and
also a log of their *history*,

When creating the first "bzr branch", used the -F option, which copied the svn
log into the first login message.  This can see in the "legacy branch" of the
project "easmy":
bzr log lp:~algis.kabaila/easmy/fem
I don't know if you can see it, as I get asked by my system for the access to
my private key (I am told that it is *my* OS that asks for it, but I am not
sure, as it has not been tested by others.)

In this manner all the problems associated with moving large repositories from
svn to bzr were avoided.  The cost is the loss of ability to revert to an
earlier version from the "svn branches" and for that I can go back, at least
for a while, to the svn repository.

If you are at all interested in "easmy", please look at the wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/easmy/

I realise that this is a mere work-around and may not suit you, but it does
suit me.

OldAl.
PS:my "private repository" was a FILO queue of directories on my own external
hdd,
A.
--
Algis Kabaila, MEngSc, PhD(Eng)