bzr svn-import with a deep branch layout

Russ Brown pickscrape at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 14:53:25 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to import our old svn repository into bzr for easier historical
digging. Partway through its life merging became managed by svk, so I'm really
hoping for merges to be properly represented in the resultant bzr repository.

However, I'm having a little trouble. The repository is over 43k revisions and
13G in size. Trying to do the import in one go has proven to be impossible due
to memory being exhausted, so I'm now doing it using the --until option and
incrementing by 1000 revisions at a time.

However, it is getting slower and slower, and I'm starting to wonder if svn-
import is having trouble properly detecting our branches properly.

We structured our repository like this:

trunk
branches/
branches/categoryA
branches/categoryA/branch1
branches/categoryA/branch2
branches/categoryB
branches/categoryB/branch1
branches/categoryB/branch2

etc.

In other words, the directories beneath the branches directory are not
themselves branches, but other plain directories which contain the actual
branches.

Looking in my bzr import directory currently, I see the category directories,
but no branch directories within them. Furthermore, the category directories
contain .bzr directories, which makes me think that svn-import is treating
them as directories. If that is the case, svn-import could see actual branch
creation operations as being massive copies into what it sees as being
branches, which could explain the slowdown.

Are my suspicions correct, and if so is there any way to get svn-import to
detect branches by noticing copies of trunk, rather than simply looking for
subdirectories of branches?

Thanks.

--

Russ