Ten reasons to switch to Bazaar

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Thu Oct 22 23:24:58 BST 2009

On Friday 23 October 2009 01:05:11 Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Over the last few days, I've put together my view on why people, teams
> and communities ought to switch to Bazaar.
[]
> * I'd like to see this document translated to a few different
>   languages. If you can help with that, the English source document is
>   available from the "Show Source" link in the sidebar. Alternatively,
>   grab the whole branch from lp:bzr-migration-docs.

The "grab" failed for me (probably the effect of ADD - my misreading or
instructions):

ak at primo:~$ sudo bzr branch lp:bzr-migration-docs
Permission denied (publickey).
bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check
connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist.
ak at primo:~$

> This is now linked from our home page. I hope it proves useful for
> advocates looking to champion Bazaar within their communities or companies.
>
> Ian C.

Again, I claim ADD - my cursory reading of a nicely prepared document for a
different user than I am.  I am switching  to  Bazaar from subversion for
several reason, the main one being that it is DVCS and allows me to have full
control of VCS on my own PC, without being online. Arguments about the
merits/demerits of other DVCS simply do not affect my thinking.  The community
is great, my recent switch to ubuntu is more than satisfactory, launchpad is a
great facility. What else could I ask for?

I think that most comments (of the more knowledgeable persons) were less than
encouraging.  Ian has put together a good document, well worth reading much
more carefully than I have done this morning.  The careful reader will pick on
possible small corrections, viz. in the section "Work Offline" the sentence
"Operations like log as also very fast." probably should have "is" instead of
"as".

Good job, well done! (And we all need encouragement occasionally - nobody
wants to hear criticism only, even when it is meant to be helpful).

As always, I am verbose and beg to be forgiven.

OldAl.

--
Algis Kabaila, MEngSc, PhD(Eng)
http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/StructuralAnalysis.pdf