Whole tree up to date before committing

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Thu Oct 22 18:54:38 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
[snip]
> If you have a large amount of code with unrelated things, the
> recommendation is to split that up into separate projects (with their
> own collection of branches). With clearly defined boundaries of what
> files should stay synchronized. (If it is truly unrelated, then it
> should be in a different branch.)
>
> I realize that the lack of 'svn:externals' complicates this, since after
> splitting there isn't a simple 'give me everything' command. Though the
> 'scmproj' plugin provides a decent set of tools for handling things in a
> fashion similar to 'svn:externals'.

Right now, I see the lack of nested trees as being the biggest
stumbling block to Bazaar in our workplace.  We don't like externals,
but unfortunately, our customers do.  Mercurial has this support now.
It'd be really nice to get a similar facility into Bazaar.  I haven't
tried scmproj yet, but I'm frightened of trying to explain it to 30
people, much less 300.  It's the only way I see big projects coming
together smoothly.

-John