Any ex ClearCase or VSS users out there?

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Thu Oct 22 08:58:31 BST 2009

<snip/>

    KN> ClearCase versions each file independently, so it's a bit
    KN> like CVS (with the difference that it also versions
    KN> directories, while CVS doesn't).

Ok.

    KN> bzr log/qlog prints a tree of commits affecting a file,
    KN> so it's quite similar here.

Hmm, not really.

'bzr log' shows the history of the branch.

'bzr qlog' too, but 'bzr qlog branch1 branch2' will show the
history of the two branches, and 'bzr qlog repo/*' will show the
history of all the branches under 'repo/'.

'bzr log FILE' will show a restricted history (only the commits
affecting files).

'bzr qannotate FILE', in addition to the annotations, will show
you the per-file graph: the commits where FILE were involved.

    KN> The main difference is that ClearCase being a centralized
    KN> VCS, always prints the full version tree of a file
    KN> including all branches, including those that haven't been
    KN> merged.

Interesting. bzr can't do that right now, but it's also because
it's distributed and that the branches may not be even readable
by the user (or physically present).

    KN> This means that you can always preview the work of other
    KN> people on their private branches. If I understand Bazaar
    KN> correctly this is not possible there, even if everybody
    KN> would work on checkouts or regularly push their private
    KN> branches to the repository.

The modifications that are not yet committed can be "previewed"
that way, but if people published all their branches on a central
server, then you can use 'bzr qlog repo/*' or whatever 'repo/*'
glob is appropriate.

    KN> I think however that with a bit of hacking it should be
    KN> possible to produce a full revision log of a file using
    KN> the data stored in the repository, since Bazaar tracks
    KN> files using file ids. Am I right?

Yes you are, that's what 'bzr qannotate FILE' does.

    Vincent