bzr_access installation and usage

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Oct 18 13:11:30 BST 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Eugene Wee <crystalrecursion at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, then it must be I who misunderstood. Why is it that when each
> unrelated project is under its own user account, committers cannot be
> tracked without using the author slot, but when the projects are all
> under one user account, they can? It seems to me that committers can
> be tracked either way, distinguishable from authors, even in the
> scenario where users share the same key to the particular project's
> repository.

I don't see how you propose to track them *by key*, though.  I haven't
looked carefully at the implementation, but SSH sanitizes the
environment, so what you have is what bzr_access sees: user == key,
repo root, branch, command.  If bzr has a --committer=<user> *option*,
yes you can do it by putting that in the command; I've never needed a
nondefault bzr committer, so maybe my ignorance is showing here.
(git, for example, doesn't have such an option, or didn't last I
looked: you *can* change the committer but you do it by setting
GIT_COMMITTER_NAME and GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL in the environment, and
that information would get sanitized out of existence over SSH.)

If there is such an option, don't forget to take some care setting
things up (eg, a script).  Otherwise people will be forgetting to set
committer all the time and 70% of the commits will be by the
ProjectBzrBot account!