bzr_access installation and usage

Eugene Wee crystalrecursion at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 11:20:35 BST 2009

Hi Stephen,

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> You set that up like this:
>
> bzr_access.conf contains:
>
> [groups]
> admins = thelordoftheflies
>
> workerbees = albert, agnes
>
> aliceinchains = alice
>
> [/var/bazaar]
> @admins = rw
>
> # free fire zone
> [/var/bazaar/repo1]
> @workerbees = rw
> @alice = rw
>
> # alice-free zone
> [/var/bazaar/repo2]
> @workerbees = rw
>
> # alice's playen.  workerbees look but don't touch.
> [/var/bazaar/repo3]
> @workerbees = r
> @alice = rw

Looking at the implementation of bzr_access, I daresay that the
documentation is in sync with the code: aside from [groups], only the
[/] section is supported. What you describe is something that is yet
to be implemented, but which is obviously good to have :)

> I won't say that won't work for you, but I think that most projects want to
> know who committed what, and this system means you will have to maintain
> a separate system for that, perhaps by using the author slot.  However, many
> times projects want to distinguish between author and committer, and you can't
> do that in the key-per-project setup.

I think that you misunderstand what I meant by "a user account for
each project, and one key pair per user". The "user account" refers to
the user accounts on the server, but "user" refers to the human users
as identified by their key/pairs. This is a different setup from
having a single key/pair for each project.

Regards,
Eugene