Thinking about Bazaar 2.1.0b2 and 2.0.2 releases

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Oct 15 21:20:25 BST 2009

Now that I've at least cut the tarballs for 2.0.1 and 2.1.0b1, it is
time to at least think about what we want to do for 2.1.0b2 and 2.0.2.

According to https://edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+milestone/2.1.0b2
2.1.0b2 is supposed to be released on 2009-10-28, or in roughly 2 weeks.
This is mostly because we are quite a bit behind with 2.1.0b1, which was
supposed to release approx 2 weeks ago.

I'm hoping we already have features interesting enough for a release,
since my StaticTuple code has landed. (The code to expose it to BTree
should be landing ~ now.)

I expect that I'll have at least 1 or 2 more memory focused patches
within the next week. Which means that 2.1.0b2 might have a rather
significant overall improvement in peak memory and performance. (I'm
targetting approx 50% peak memory, or 400MB instead of 800MB branching
launchpad.)

Having done the 2.0.1 and 2.1.0b1 releases concurrently, I'm tempted to
say that we should continue to do so. My main motivation is that
managing NEWS is a PITA. Having duplicate copies of entries is confusing
and causes difficulties during merge. Especially once you get a conflict
and you want to try to sort out what goes where.

My vote is that whenever we get to the point of wanting to do a 2.1.0*
release, we should make a 2.0.* release unless there are 0 bugfixes
landed. (And I'm landing one of Martin's 2.0.* patches now, so I'm sure
there will be at least one. :)

It *is* significantly more work during release time[1], but probably
worth it.

So at this point, we need to decide who we want as RM (I'm willing,
since I'm still a bit in RM mode, though I'm happy for someone else to
do the work.)

Oh, and there is one point I'm still not sure about for a release. What
things go as part of the "official announcement" and what bits are done
right away. For example, do we update the website when it has 'gone
gold' or do we wait for installers? Do we update 'SourceDownloads' but
not the new website?

Probably we need to update 'doc/developers/releasing.txt' to clarify.

[1]http://jam-bazaar.blogspot.com/2009/10/joys-of-multiple-releases.html