gmake required for C extensions

Voelker, Bernhard bernhard.voelker at siemens-enterprise.com
Thu Oct 15 14:21:00 BST 2009

Hi,

running `bzr --version` outputs the missing compiled extension warnings
on my Solaris10/SPARC box:

  $ tar zxf bzr-2.1.0b1.tar.gz
  $ cd bzr-2.1.0b1
  $ ./bzr --version
  Bazaar (bzr) 2.1.0b1
    Python interpreter: /usr/bin/python 2.4.4
    Python standard library: /usr/lib/python2.4
    Platform: Solaris-2.10-sun4u-sparc-32bit
    bzrlib: /vol1/home1/ecs2/opt/bzr/bzr-2.1.0b1/bzrlib
    Bazaar configuration: /user/ecs2/.bazaar
    Bazaar log file: /user/ecs2/.bzr.log

  Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 Canonical Ltd.
  http://bazaar-vcs.org/

  bzr comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  bzr is free software, and
  you may use, modify and redistribute it under the terms of the GNU
  General Public License version 2 or later.

  bzr: warning: some compiled extensions could not be loaded; see <https://answers.launchpad.net/bzr/+faq/703>

Following the URL, I tried a simple `make`:

  $ make
  make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 175: Unexpected end of line seen

It seems that GNU make is required.
Fortunately, I had compiled that a few months ago for another software,
but IMHO it would be nice if bzr would not rely on it.
Is there an official statement about this?

BTW: gmake ran fine (with a bunch of warnings).

Have a nice day,
Berny