Translations of bzr-explorer

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Thu Oct 15 08:21:35 BST 2009

On Thursday 15 October 2009 17:22:21 Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> AFAIK, the '&' only affects menu accelerators, and in fact defines
> them.
>

> What this means to the translators is that they are free to choose any
> character for the accelerator.  There are two plausible strategies,
> then.  First, choose the same character as in other languages,
> especially English since that is the most commonly implemented
> language.  This probably is only a reasonable heuristic in
> multilingual cultures (Swiss, Belgian, Quebec) where people are likely
> to be switching keyboards.
I would add to that list the Baltic languages - Finish (Linus original
country), Norwegian, Estonian (which is very similar to Finish), Latvian,
Lithuanian.  I think it would apply also to Slavic languages, Polish,
Ukrainian, Russian, Croatian etc.

> Second, choose the same character as in other applications where that
> function is defined in *your* language.  Note how this applies to
> "E&xit" vs. "&Quitter" in the French example.

It is rather easy for French, as English borrows so readily from Latin and
Germanic languages.  After all, "Quitter" is the same as "Quit".

> So quitting should be hard to
> do.  Putting it on a "little finger key" or even a multiple keystroke
> character might not be a bad idea (if supported).

Good point. A simpler way may be not to have an accelerator at all for "Quit",
aham, "Exit".

> HTH.

It really does - thank you.

> Regards,